New version of WTV Watcher not working for me

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM

WTV Watcher was working perfectly until today when I saw there was an update available so I clicked to download it. After installing it and starting the program again, I can't convert anything. As soon as the program wants to start converting, I get this nasty message: "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms file format.", giving me only the OK button to press. If I go to the watched folder and I right click on any of the wtv files and choose Convert to dvr-ms format, the conversion happens with no problems. I understand that this software basically uses the conversion app bundled with Windows 7 and automates the process further, so I suppose this is just a bug in the latest version?

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:12 AM

This as been my experience as well, same message, pgm downloaded Monday night. Same story running wtvconverter manally.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Just found this over at an GreenButton forum post:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/68961.aspx?PageIndex=2

electric62:

Thanks Ian, thats really helpful to know. The converter is working fine. In the final version is it likely to convert HD files (H264)? it doesnt seem to at the moment.  Also I noticed the converted dvr-ms files are different when rendering in graphedit, has an extra tag on it. Some conversion tools dont seem to like it & fail.

It will not do H.264 WTV files because H.264 is not supported in DVR-MS. It will also not do protected content.

I think the extra pin is probably the closed captioning pin. We do convert those as well, again based on the language selection in the Win7 MC ui.

Ian Kennedy - eHome TV Playback Test Lead

------

So, I have been trying to convert mostly HD content I believe - is this the source of the error? Oddly, doing the right-click convert from the context menu seems to be working... hae to investigate this more (in between working, daddying, & sleeping of course).

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Well, that's not it. I found two wtv files, one claiming to be HD, the other not, and both converted fine using the right-click method. Both failed to convert when fed to wtvwatcher. Interestingly, following conversion, they both claimed to be 708 x 480. Maybe the converter just throws away the HD content, down-samples it or something? So, still no answer.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Yes, I have been having the same problem.  The updated version does not work.  I also receive the same message ""WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms file format".  I've gone back to version 1.0.0.21 and it works okay.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Same with me.  Is there a way to go back to the old version?

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM
pinesal wrote:

Same with me.  Is there a way to go back to the old version?

First remove version 1.0.0.35 (the latest version) from your computer.  Next download version 1.0.0.21 (Tray stable).  Note that this is a zipped file so you need to create a folder and save it somewhere on your computer and unzip the file.  Next drill down through your folder ie:WTV\wtvWatcher\bin\debug.  Locate & copy the file "WtvWatcher.exe" to your startup menu.  To launch WtvWatcher click on it and it will also start the next time you boot up your computer.  That's it!

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:48 AM
sebaz wrote:

WTV Watcher was working perfectly until today when I saw there was an update available so I clicked to download it. After installing it and starting the program again, I can't convert anything. As soon as the program wants to start converting, I get this nasty message: "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms file format.", giving me only the OK button to press. If I go to the watched folder and I right click on any of the wtv files and choose Convert to dvr-ms format, the conversion happens with no problems. I understand that this software basically uses the conversion app bundled with Windows 7 and automates the process further, so I suppose this is just a bug in the latest version?

Same issue here on some files.. No HD content, no  other changes, just the update WTV Watcher

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, I'm going back to .21 too.  Unchecked the "Check for Updates" preference as well.  It's just safer that way.

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 4:37 AM

All,

I've updated the online installer to version 10.0.0.45 which fixes quite a few things requested from the community over the past year.

Would you mind giving the new version a go and letting me know how it works for all of you?

Thanks,

Paul