Error code 5 (from wtvconverter.exe)

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hey Paul,

Found an odd error this morning:

11/15/2009 9:00:13 AM: Handoff: D:\recorded tv\Special Agent Oso_DISN_2009_11_15_07_58_00.wtv
11/15/2009 9:00:45 AM: SUCCESS => Special Agent Oso_DISN_2009_11_15_07_58_00.wtv
11/15/2009 9:00:55 AM: Handoff: D:\recorded tv\Special Agent Oso_DISN_2009_11_15_07_58_00.wtv
11/15/2009 9:00:55 AM: ERROR => System.Exception: 'WtvConverter.exe' exited with code '5'.
   at WtvWatcher.Window1._Monitor()

Looks like it tried to work on the same file twice?  When I try to play this (WTV) file now, it gives me the error "File not Found - Windows Media Center cannot play the file.  The file could not be found".  (It's also about half the size it should be for a half-hour show.)

Also, since your last big UI change, I set the file wait period to 15 minutes.  The good news is, that it waits the full 15 minutes, the bad, that it seems to start counting off at the start of recording... (sometimes?)

11/15/2009 9:15:07 AM: Handoff: D:\recorded tv\Mickey Mouse Clubhouse_DISN_2009_11_15_09_00_01.wtv

Don't know what that's all about, but these are the only two issues I've noticed, and I've been using this thing constantly all week.

John

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM

John,

Looks to me like media center may be buffering output to the WTV file, such that the 'LastWriteTime' on the file isn't being updated in a timely manner.

At least for now, one solution is to set the WtvWatcher latency time to the max length of any program you record (say 2hr = 120min). That way, the hand-off is sure to never start early no mater what media center does.

Also, I posted updates today, so when you stop/start WtvWatcher, you'll see a 'new updates available' notification.

Paul

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Will do.  Thanks.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Folks,

I am having the same error code issue and have tried:

1. Removing all the video content from my "recroded Directory", without sucess

2. Removing and installing the program from Scratch - no Joy.

So now everytime I fire up the script it sees the raw movies in the right directory, but skips each one stating "WTV Converter cannot conver the file from .wtv TO .DVR-ms Format etc"  on "Wtvconverter exited with Error code 5"

Any further thoughts or advice?

Gary

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Gary - had the same problem when I first installed, noticed that if the 'Show WtvConverter UI (debug)' box is checkedi n the WtvWatcher preferences, the 'action' command line is built like this

C:\Windows\ehome\wtvconverter.exe /ShowUI "{0}" "{1}.dvr-ms"

It should be like this (wtvconverter.exe expects the /showui switch at the end.)

C:\Windows\ehome\wtvconverter.exe "{0}" "{1}.dvr-ms" /ShowUI

If you have the debug option ticked, unticking it should resolve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM
nbradford wrote:

Gary - had the same problem when I first installed, noticed that if the 'Show WtvConverter UI (debug)' box is checkedi n the WtvWatcher preferences, the 'action' command line is built like this

C:\Windows\ehome\wtvconverter.exe /ShowUI "{0}" "{1}.dvr-ms"

It should be like this (wtvconverter.exe expects the /showui switch at the end.)

C:\Windows\ehome\wtvconverter.exe "{0}" "{1}.dvr-ms" /ShowUI

If you have the debug option ticked, unticking it should resolve the issue.

Hope this helps.

Nick

That did the trick for me! Thanks for the help!

-F

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Nick,

you nailed it.  100% fixed, first time, now a happy smiley dude in Australia regaining faith in my media centre.  Thank you for the assistance, thank you!

Perhaps a litte mod for the author to consider in the next cut of the script?

Gary

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Gary / Nick,

Thanks guys for finding the resolution to this one. You're right, the /ShowUI parameter order made the difference.

I've included this fix in the latest 1.0.0.45 update, posted to the auto-deploy install location. Close/restart tray app for new update.

Paul

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Edited Apr 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Just to piggyback on this,  I had a code 5 error from changing the working directory.

It turned out that the working directory "d:\temp tv" was being handed off to the command line without the trailing "\" and it was not finding the file, for example "d:\temp tvTVSHOWNAME.wtv"

To fix it,  I just manualy edited the c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\WtvWatcher.settings and added the "\" to the <WorkingDirectory> tag.

So it now looks like this  "<WorkingDirectory>d:\temp tv\</WorkingDirectory>"

Now after restarting the program it shows up as "d:\temp tv\" and now works properly.

On my WD green, having the I/O separated to another physical really helps when recording many shows on both tuners, especially HD.

Hope this helps others.

Love the program and keep up the good work

-Natty