Minor issues: early file detection, rec. Lifextender settings

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Hi,

I posted a brief version of this on your blog, but it's probably better here...Just got WtcWatcher installed (x64 Win7 Home Premium), and it did a great job converting the WTV files that I had been accumulating over the past few days.  A few issues/questions however:

* When I recorded a new TV show this morning (schedule from 7:00-9:00), it began converting the file to DVR-MS at 7:05.  Five minutes from the start of the show, instead of five minutes after the show finished.  The WTV Converter seemed to convert the file as it recorded it, with the status bar at 100%.  Later on, I got this error in the WtvWatcher log:

11/8/2009 7:05:12 AM: Handoff: D:\recorded tv\Shilling Shockers_GOAC009_2009_11_08_07_00_00.wtv

11/8/2009 8:23:56 AM: ERROR => System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'D:\recorded tv\Shilling Shockers_GOAC009_2009_11_08_07_00_00.wtv' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at WtvWatcher.Window1._Monitor()

I also ended up with both a WTV and a DVR-MS file in my recorded directory, so, as the log implies, it didn't delete.

* How should Lifextender be configured to monitor the recorded TV folder?  I typically have it pick up files as it detects them, but does WtvWatcher create the WTV file in the same directory?  I've been having a lot of files put themselves in the blocked list of Lifextender, and I think that might be why.  Lifextender doesn't seem to be telling me much else, I don't remember it acting like this before.  I could be wrong on that, of course.  Commercials do seem to be removed though, so maybe it doesn't matter either way...

* Is it possible to set the WTV Converter to run silently instead of having the box pop up?  (My media center is also my desktop PC.)

* Finally, I appear to be able to run multiple instances of WtvWatcher simultaneously.

Thanks,

John

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM

John,

Thanks for the feedback!

1. I have my Lifextender set to "Automatically scan" and "every 5 minutes" (I'm kind of impatient like that).

2. How do you mean "run silently instead of having the box pop up"? What's it doing for you specifically that's not 'silent'?

3. The multiple instances thing has been fixed in the new version. Good catch.

Paul

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:47 PM

To get the new version (haven't updated the code yet, going to a b-day party), use the installer here:

http://www.indesolutions.com/wtvwatcher

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Got the new version installed (confirmed because I can only run one at a time - cool).  Thanks.  I'll also leave my Lifextender settings as is.

By running silent, I just mean seeing no conversion dialog box for the MS utility.  I get a dialog box titled "WTV Converter" on my desktop showing the progress of the ongoing conversion.  I'd just like the option to have that operate in the background is all.  (Without the /showui switch.)

Meanwhile, here's another example of the early WTV conversion problem I'm having:

Recording is supposed to run from noon to 2pm.  File conversion starts three minutes in. (?!)

11/8/2009 12:03:02 PM: Handoff: D:\recorded tv\Immortal Beloved_WNACDT2_2009_11_08_11_58_00.wtv
11/8/2009 12:18:05 PM: ERROR => System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'D:\recorded tv\Immortal Beloved_WNACDT2_2009_11_08_11_58_00.wtv' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
   at WtvWatcher.Window1._Monitor()

So I'm guessing that I might ultimately get this particular recording in two chunks.  *shrug*

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,

John

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Gosh, my bad. The "/ShowUI" carryover was due to copy & paste from the console version. I completely forgot it was in there.

New version is published. Stop/restart WtvWatcher to see the update.

I added an setting for the "/ShowUI" as well as the "Pickup Latency in Minutes" which if you're having trouble, you can fidget with to see if it helps.

Likewise, I added "skip-list" functionality that catches exceptions like yours and doesn't treat it like an ERROR, but rather warns you about it and retries again in 10 minutes or so.

Again, thanks for the feedback. These inane little details can be troublesome, and I don't see them all the time because my Media Centers are not my primary desktop.

Cheers,

Paul

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM

This new settings menu is a beautiful thing.  Increased the timeout to 15 minutes and everything seems to have sobered up. Thanks!  This truly is great.

My only remaining UI concern is of the minimize/close buttons when looking at the status.  I think it's currently way too easy to accidentally click the X and close the whole program down, when all I really wanted to do was close the log window.  Perhaps move the exit command to a right-click menu on the notification area icon itself, or at least giving a popup warning at the X that the entire program will shut down.  I'll eventually train myself to do it right, (or not, as I shouldn't have to look at the log much anymore) but it's a thought.

Again, great program.  Thanks so much.  I have my Lifextender back!

John

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Great job programming this. This is exactly what  everyone needs. I have spent hours trying to get show analyzer and dvrms toolbox working and everytime it is a huge complicated mess that lags my system. This runs very fast.

I have one question: I did not get an icon when I installed and I dont know how to launch the program. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:02 PM

If you installed using the 'preferred' method (http://www.indesolutions.com/wtvwatcher) which uses .NET click-once, there should be a new *program group* called "Paul Bruce" under your start menu > all programs.

There should also be a shortcut icon on your desktop that looks like a red TV.

After you launch the app, you may also want to check the system tray notification icons area, as sometimes Window (XP/Vista/7) immediately hides icons even though they are not "inactive".

If you've done all these things, but still don't see the red TV icon in the system tray, please open up Task Manager and check if a process called "WtvWatcher" is running. If it is, but there's no TV icon that's just plain wierd. If so, post a simple list of your system specs (OS version, RAM, CPU speed), and we'll continue troubleshooting from there.