WtvWatcher stops working

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Just installed WtvWatcher and made sure I had the right .NET framework.  It installs ok, but when I start it I get a dialog box from WtvWatcher that WtvWatcher has stopped working -- a problem caused the program to stop working correctly and windows will close and notify me of a solution if available.  What am I missing here?  Any suggestions?

I have a Windows 7 64 bit set-up with a quad core pc and 8 GB RAM.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:20 AM
What is your computer setup like? OS, version, CPU, mem. Also, did you have a previous version of wtvwatcher installed?

On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:26 PM, ajt_161 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Just installed WtvWatcher and made sure I had the right .NET framework. It installs ok, but when I start it I get a dialog box from WtvWatcher that WtvWatcher has stopped working -- a problem caused the program to stop working correctly and windows will close and notify me of a solution if available. What am I missing here? Any suggestions?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have windows 7, quad core pc with 8GB RAM. I'm not at my pc so I cannot tell you the version, but I have kept up with all the 7 updates from Microsoft.

art

----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:20:29 PM
Subject: Re: WtvWatcher stops working [wtvwatcher:242326]

What is your computer setup like? OS, version, CPU, mem. Also, did you have a previous version of wtvwatcher installed?

On Jan 18, 2011, at 6:26 PM, ajt_161 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Just installed WtvWatcher and made sure I had the right .NET framework. It installs ok, but when I start it I get a dialog box from WtvWatcher that WtvWatcher has stopped working -- a problem caused the program to stop working correctly and windows will close and notify me of a solution if available. What am I missing here? Any suggestions?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM

pbruce -- here is my system config --

Intel Core2 Quad  2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.  Hope this helps you looking into my question.

No previous version of wtvwatcher installed.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall wtvwatcher and got the same result.

art

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Looking at the source code, I can't imagine that it's something in my code crashing, since you would receive an "OK"-only dialog box with error message specifics if it was my code.

I have two ideas:

A. Your font cache may be corrupt:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/7cc032c1-5f4d-4518-adc6-f53afd051e6b

Probably due to font cache data file corruption. Try the below workaround.

1. Run services.msc
2. Stop Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 service
3. Delete FontCache3.0.0.0.dat in XP: %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data in Vista: %windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local
4. Restart the machine

B. You may need to repair/reinstall your version of .NET 3.5, including Service Pack 1

Try those two suggestions, then restart computer, then launch app.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I am having the same issue. I installed the app several months ago and everything worked fine until a week or two ago. I did notice that I'm now running .NET 4 (possibly upgraded as part of windows update?) - could that be causing an issue?

I've tried downgrading to 3.5, but I'm not having much luck (after uninstalling .net 4, I run the 3.5 installer and all it does is ask for permission, then returns to the desktop as if nothing happened.)

I also deleted the font cache to no avail. I've also uninstalld and reinstalled WTVWatcher, for what it's worth.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, 4gb ram, AMD Athlon II X3 440  3.0GHz.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Try uninstalling, deleting your local preferences file (%APPDATA%\WtvWatcher.settings), then re-installing. Oh, and check to make sure it's not actually running in the background (in the system tray).