Setting up the source code

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Since my previous post on the "Premature Exit" error hasn't gotten any bites I would like to setup and debug the application my self.  My question is what tools do I need to be able to modify, debug and compile the source code.  I have "Visual Studio Professional 6.0" that is about ten years old.  Will this give me the capabilities that I need?  If not what tools will I need?  Are they free?  Where would I get them?

Thanks in advance

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:35 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Germina90,
Spot on. You found a bug in the new update. I've fixed it now.
Also, I do these updates when I can find the time, and I didn't even get to see your email until today.
With click once applications, you can most always 'restore the previous version' through uninstall of the program via the control panel. Feel free to do this if future updates don't immediate work out for you, and keep the feedback coming when something doesn't seem to be working properly.
Paul
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Awesome Thanks! 

Do I need to wait for this fix to become available or can I download the fixed version now?  Also, I am still interested in setting up the application in a development environment so that I can tweak the behaviour of the application.  In short what I would like to do is have WtvWatcher read a wtv file from one directory and have the converted dvr-ms file be produced in a different directory.  (it would actually be a different H.D.)  Is this something that is supported with the current version?  I know with the current version that it does something similar where you can render the new file in a different directory, but then it copies the file back into the original directory (according to the documentation that I have read).  I would like it just to leave the file in the new directory and cut out the extra i/o of copying the file back.

Thanks Again.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM
G,

Let me see how much work it would be to leave the rendered file in the
temp path.

I am not keeping the codeplex source code as up to date as the live
app due to time constraints, and if you're interested in brushing up
on your progamming knowledge, I suggest downloading visual studio 2010
express from Microsoft. Wtvwatcher is written in c#.

To move dvr-ms files to a different hard drive, why not just use a
batch file / windows scheduled task that does an xcopy between the
locations and deletes source location dvr-ms files. No modification to
wtvwatcher necessary for that. That would be my first approach as a
network admin. Simple move script. Google is your best friend for this
type of thing. :)

P
>
Dec 20, 2010 at 5:44 PM

First off, let me thank you for the work that you have done creating this tool.  I didn’t realize that this was a one man effort when I starting posting my questions.  Also, being a programmer myself I am aware that regardless of how well you write a program the only things that get attention are the bugs or the things people wish the program did.  You very rarely get credit for all the good stuff the application does.  So once again thank you for your efforts.  Now back to the previous discussion.

Let me start with the fact that because there is another defect in the program I am currently able to have the rendered dvr-ms file stay in the temp directory.  So as of right now I am a happy camper.  I will explain the defect in a minute but let me try to explain again why I wanted to do this.

The reason that I wanted to have the file left in the rendered temp path is to cut down on the amount of i/o activity for a particular hard drive.  The best way I can figure of doing this is have the wtv file read from one hard drive and have the dvr-ms file produced on a second. I figure there is a lot less i/o activity by doing this.  The multi media pc that is doing this is use by my whole family, so it is possible that while the wtv to dvr-ms process is going on I maybe recording up to three other programs and watching 4 different programs.  This alone is a lot of i/o.

Now the current defect in the program (which works to my advantage) is that when I choose a temp path option to be different from the watched folder the file is always produced one folder lower than expected.  For example if I choose the temp path to be “d:\TempRecordedTV” then the file will actually be produced on the root of my d drive and the produced dvr-ms fiel will have the name start with “TempRecordedTV”.  So if I actually want the file to be created in the “d:\TempRecordedTV” directory than I need to specify the temp folder “d:\TempRecordedTV\abc”.  How this works for me is that when the application tries to move the generated dvr-ms file back it tries to copy it from “d:\TempRecordedTV\abc” directory that I specified, but fails because the file is actually in the “d:\TempRecordedTV” directory.  So the file gets converted but does not get moved.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Thanks for the reported issue. I will eventually move this into the project priorities, but for now you can fix your temp directory issue by adding a slash to the end of the temp path.