error code 2?

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM
I have installed and reinstalled the program. It gives an error message "WTVconverter.exe exited with code '2'. The files seem to be convertered from wtv to dvrms. So what does this code 2 mean?
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Did you get any resolution?  Installed a couple weeks ago and worked fine for several days then Error Code 2.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:12 AM

I'm getting the same error.  And like bsplhcb, mine worked for a while (more than a month) and in the last couple weeks it kicks error code 2.  If I keep restarting it, eventually it works for a little while again.  But it does eventually error out.  First, there is a "Handoff" and then the error as quoted by canuck.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Error code 2 from Windows' wtvconverter.exe utility usually denotes either that the show is CONTENT PROTECTED by the network, or that the show is HD and encoded in the H264 format.

In both of these cases, it is likely that the show cannot be transcoded to the old DVR-MS format without intervention from a 3rd party conversion utility.

Also, due to legal restrictions, WtvWatcher simply uses Windows own wtvconverter.exe to transcode. It does not circumvent the more explicit methods that the industry uses to protect content that they really want to protect. If the networks require Microsoft to limit transcoding of certain protected content, I do not want to go against that decision.

We need to respect that the industry must naturally dispell any unreasonable network content restrictions in its own time, due to trend in the consumer market. The more you see a network push content that cannot be transcoded, take it as a sign that you should stop watching that network. That's the only way they'll learn not to dictate restrictions to consumers.